Describe a good law in your country
1. What is the law?
2. How you came to know about this law?
2. Whom does it affect?
3. Why is it good?
Answer of IELTS Cue Card Describe a good law in your country:
Laws are made by the government for the smooth running of the society.
● Without these laws, we would be living in utter chaos
● There are many good laws, such as – the ban on smoking in public places, wearing
a helmet while riding a two-wheeler, the law against female foeticide and against
● But here I am going to talk about a law on banning the use of plastic carry bags
● I came to know about this law from TV news.
● This law affects each and every person on Earth.
● In 2016, India banned the use of carry bags below 50 microns thickness, but it
was not carried out well, because of lack of alternatives.
● However, in June 2018, on World Environment Day, the theme was “Beat Plastic
Pollution”, and so the government has planned to be strict in the implementation
of this law.
● Actually, India was the global host of the World Environment Day, this year.
● So, our PM Mr Narendra Modi asked every state and Union Territory to launch a
massive campaign against the use of plastics.
● All single-use plastics, such as carry bags, drinking straws and plastic bottles
have been banned and strict fines are there for the violators of this law.
● Plastic is non-biodegradable and fills up our landfill sites.
● If burnt, it emits harmful fumes in the air.
● So, I think this is a good law and we all need to cooperate with the government
by abiding by this law.
● We should make it a habit to carry our tote bags with us when we go shopping
and refuse to accept plastic bags.
1. Do you think this law is acceptable to people?
Yes, I think this law has been accepted well by the people of India. There is
growing awareness about the environmental issues and Indians too are making their
efforts to save and preserve the environment.
2. Is there any situation that people might disobey the law?
Yes, there are situations when people disobey the/this law. The main reasons for
such laws not being followed by the people are personal profits/benefits and the
convenience that they may have to give up.
3. Do people like being a police officer in your country?
Yes, many people in my country like being a police officer. Every year there are
several people who take the tests to become a police officer. The competition that is
there for such exams is a clear indicator that many people strive to become police
officers and serve their country.
4. What qualities should a police officer have?
There are many qualities that a police officer should have. He/she should be
physically fit and active and should have a passion to serve the people and country.
Some other qualities are honesty, eagerness to search for the truth and bring justice to
people, some skills like martial arts or other such combating skills to be able to fight the
criminals, courage, fearlessness, determination, and many more such qualities.
5. Why some people prefer to be a lawyer?
Some people prefer to be a lawyer because they want to ensure that everyone
receives justice and is treated fairly by the law. They may have a desire to fight for
others’ rights and ensure that everyone gets a fair chance to justify their actions. Some
people choose this profession because of the prospects of earning money and fame.